Understanding the evolving healthcare industry and helping clients prepare for the looming “silver tsunami” empowers Nelson Hardiman to advise on senior services. Our focus on healthcare innovation and next generation healthcare provides a natural segue to today’s senior living facilities. We represent and counsel clients on business, regulatory and strategic challenges, helping senior services providers tackle regulatory hurdles, avoid disruption and financial distress, and tackle the shift in the competitive landscape towards new care alternatives.
Our healthcare team concentrates on the day-to-day operational concerns, demanding regulatory requirements, and project-focused business objectives of independent senior housing, continuing care retirement communities, and residential care facilities for the elderly. Whether our clients strive to sustain the financial viability of “all-in-one” senior living communities or seek alternative solutions to support seniors who want to “age in place,” Nelson Hardiman combines unique insight into the regulatory landscape and deep experience in healthcare finance to drive successful business operations and cultivate strategic growth for providers of senior services.
Related PracticesGovernment InvestigationsLitigationRegulatory ComplianceTransactions
Our Work Includes:
- Compliance Advised on licensing, operational, and reimbursement compliance, corrective action plans, audit risk assessment, local zoning regulations and the Fair Housing Act for the purchaser of a senior living facility in Southern California.
- Contracts Negotiated payor contracts, service agreements and vendor contracts, employment and independent contractor agreements for a senior living facility in the lease-up phase of operations.
- Entity Formation Advised on entity formation, corporate structures of all types ‒ LLCs, PLLCs, LPs, trusts, and non-profits ‒ together with governance documents to support regular business operations, financing, and mergers for numerous senior living facilities.
- Financing Structures Advised on financing structures for senior living facilities and senior services companies, including collateralized, secured, unsecured, and credit swaps of various kinds, for bridge financings and other growth strategies for business owners and investors.
- Litigation Defended licensure defense and appeals, payor and reimbursement disputes, and business and employment litigation for a senior living facility in connection with a change in ownership and management structure.
- Regulatory Defense Represented Department of Social Services (“DSS”) licensure investigations and appeals, reimbursement audits by private and governmental payors and their contractors, and fraud and abuse investigations by government payors and their contractors for various senior living facilities.